Researchers have discovered that overweight people have 4% less brain tissue, while obese people have 8% less brain tissue as compared to normal people. (1) This tells us that if we want our brains to be healthy, we must shed our extra pounds and stay trim. So lay off fast food and sodas, don’t snack when you’re not hungry, and stay away from fried, fatty foods. Below is some healthy food for the brain.
1) Include almonds, walnuts and blueberries in your diet. Almonds are walnuts are packed with omega-3 acids which help in busting stress and enhancing the mood. Also walnuts and almonds help replace melatonin, which is required to maintain brain health. Blueberries have the highest levels of antioxidants of all fruit,help reduce belly fat, and helps maintain a healthy urinary tract. These food items help reduce blood sugar, and low blood sugar levels improve thought and reasoning.
2) Herbs are rich in antioxidants. Basil and Ginseng, in particular, help control production of cortisol, which is a hormone that causes stress. Stress can cause memory lapses, as well as headaches and depression so make sure you include these herbs into your daily diet.
3) Eat foods with a low glycemic index like Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. These foods prevent elevated blood sugar levels, which can impact the brain cells. These foods are very rich in fiber and antioxidants as well, and help produce more HDL (High Density Lipoprotein), and helps scrub off LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) from artery walls. HDL is considered good cholesterol and LDL is considered bad cholesterol.
4) Do you eat fish? If not, it’s time you started because eating fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines is good for the brain. These fish are full of omega-3 fatty acids right up to their gills, and as you know, omega-3 fatty acids are great for the brain. They can fight depression and improve your memory.
However, do not fry your fish – have it grilled or baked. Frying counter acts the health benefits inherent in any food. If you buy fish do not buy farm raised fish. Instead buy fish that is wild caught. If you’re concerned about mercury in your fish (as you should) then take krill oil supplements.
5) Avocados are high in monounsaturated fats, which increases blood flow to the brain and the entire body. Avocados also lower blood pressure, which also benefits the brain.
6) Eggs are a great source of protein that make you feel alert and help neurotransmitters in the brain function better. Choline is a nutrient in eggs that our body doesn’t make enough of naturally. Choline is essential in brain health and can improve memory and reduce inflammation.